An American Studies degree provides you with translatable skills that are relevant to many career fields and areas of graduate study. In addition, you’ll gain foundational liberal arts skills that are prized by 21st- century employers.
- Think about complex problems using a variety of different approaches
- Follow an argument through the use of research and persuasive arguments
- Develop writing skills
- Communicate and listen well, including with those who hold different opinions from your own
- Interpret American literature, film, art, music, mass culture, social movements, and politics
- Engage critically and intelligently with discussions about diversity, both in the U.S. and globally
- Understand the importance of national belonging, notions of citizenship and what it means to be “American”